Saturday, January 28, 2006

Anything I Can Do



I have a show for you to watch. It’s called “Anything I Can Do” and it’s on PBS. It’s one of those do-it-yourself shows. The hostess is Mag Ruffman and the project today was building a child’s bench. The bench is made from 4 pieces of plywood all glued and screwed together and then decoupaged with little squares of colored fabric. The clever part about the project was that Meg designed it with her eyes shut. You might be thinking, “What? How could someone design a piece of furniture with shut eyes?” Well, you obviously don’t know Mag. She is very free-spirited. She just took a pencil, shut her eyes, and drew out the sides of the bench on a piece of plywood. Then she instructed us in the finer points of a jigsaw, eye and ear protection, and cut away. She assured us it didn’t even matter if the two sides of the bench were different from each other, because they are kind of like the sleeves of a dress—it doesn’t matter if they are different because they aren’t right next to each other so nobody will notice. Brilliant. Plus, she pointed out that one of the great things about designing furniture with your eyes closed is that if it turns out badly, you can always say, “Not bad, considering my eyes were closed.”

One thing I love about Mag is that she uses catchy little phrases throughout her show and she always gives her projects clever titles. This little kiddie bench she called “Glue Me Like You Did Last Summer.” A show about making garden pots she called “Pot and Bothered” and her show on making and wiring lamps she called “Interview with a Lamp Wire.” Now how did she come up with all that?

Mag really speaks to women. As you watch her floundering with glue and falling pieces of plywood, you realize it’s okay to be a girl who has a tough time with stuff. As long as you’re cute and say funny things, no problem, and your fun little projects will turn out just fine regardless. Skill and technique don’t really matter that much. Mag reminds us that “there's nothing like hefting a power tool to tighten important muscle groups.” There’s my new workout! And I think high-waisted, peg-legged pants must be coming back in style if Mag is any indicator.

Mag is in touch with her inner child. It’s not uncommon to watch her running and playing in the big field outside her barn. Or sliding down the pole from her loft, twirling as she descends.

My very most favorite part of the show is when Mag has a reflective moment. We hear Mag’s introspection as she thinks or writes in her journal. She really has a few things going on in her head, and she shares them freely with us. Doing it yourself is a sort of spiritual thing, and you can find yourself in one of Mag’s projects.

If you haven’t ever watched Mag, I think you should. Let me know what you think. You can go here to see more of Mag and her clever ideas: http://www.homeenvy.com/mag_ruffman.html

13 comments:

dalene said...

Looks like my kind of gal. (Although I initially had a hard time taking her seriously because I thought her name was "Rag-a-Muffin.") I agree that DIY is some sort of spiritual thing--but, unfortunately I am usually too busy trying to deal with the mundane to indulge in the sublime. It's on my to-do list, however. One day...

Sister Pottymouth said...

I just checked out her ToolGirl website (the link is on the page you posted in your blog). She is hilarious! I really liked her article about finding the perfect framer. What time/channel is her show on?

C. Jane Kendrick said...

Could the show possibly be as entertaining as your post?

I don't know if I want to find out.

Lorien said...

You really must watch before forming too many opinions...her writing just isn't the same as her show. I'm sure I didn't give it justice with my blog--or maybe I gave it too much? You won't believe what you're seeing. Tune in...

you provo folk--10:15 am Saturday.

dalene said...

So...how was she today? Did you tape it for me?

Kactiguy said...

Lorien was gone, but I saw it and ole Mag was as retarded as ever.

Otto said...

Designing with your eyes closed - hmmm maybe I should try that some time. You probably couldn't tell much of a difference though. Exibit #1: MTC Loading Dock. I rest my case.

Carina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carina said...

The first time I saw Mag I thought, "This woman is insane" and promptly didn't watch her for six months.

Since that time, I've acquired a taste for her Cannuck insanity. She made her own wooden dish rack last Saturday. The program had me in stitches. (Especially since one side full on turned out two inches too short.) I liked when she almost swore at the wooden dowels and instead aid "Those b...abies."

Lorien said...

Otto, you might try it, but I'm not sure you'd have quite the panache as Mag. Or the lipstick. You'd also need a good firepole to end your workday.

Carina, I'm glad one of my readers shares my enjoyment. Well, two, really if you count my hubby.

I wonder what Mags will be up to this Sat...

BrianJ said...

The woman in the picture on the left looks a lot like Lori Bingham (now Lori Dillon).

The Dally Llama said...

I like your blog better when your kids are pooping on other kids.

Lorien said...

Oh, the irony. I seriously didn't read this post until just AFTER I posted my next entry. Happy belated birthday, lil bro.