Wednesday, January 18, 2006

So Where Have You Been?

That’s what I think you, reader, might be thinking. Where have I been since my last post? Richfield, Utah. Okay, not the whole time. But I was there for one day, anyway. Occasionally I go out of town without the rest of my family. Yep, just by my lonesome. Sometimes I have a conversation with a friend and the subject of my absence comes up. The conversation goes something like this:

“I can’t do this-or-that tomorrow. I’ll be out of town.”

“Oh? Where are you going?” my friend asks with interest.

“Richfield.”

Pause. “Where’s Richfield?”

Rural Utah towns don’t get a lot of hype. I explain that Richfield is about 2 hours south of Provo, past Scipio and near Aurora. That usually doesn’t help much. The conversation is losing steam.

“Ohhhh. Why are you going to Richfield?”

“I’m teaching at a workshop.”

I gain a little ground and my friend now seems slightly impressed. I even get a little bit of an eyebrow raise, as if I had just announced that I was an architect.

“Oh! A workshop about what?”

I take a deep breath. How do I explain what I do? “About writing tests. Assessment.”

“Mmmm.”

Conversation killed.

Really, the workshop is about much more than writing tests. It’s a workshop that teaches science teachers different ways to find out what their students have learned, and then to adjust their teaching accordingly. To folks in the field, that’s called formative assessment. The title of the workshop is “Using Formative Assessment to Inform Instruction.” But to the lay-person, and even to many teachers, that just sounds like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. So each time I do this workshop, I try and think of a way I can explain this to my friends in a simple way and make it sound interesting and fun. But the best I can come up with is, “It’s a workshop about testing,” which it really isn’t. Pretty much a guaranteed conversation killer.

I've been doing this type of stuff--either teaching workshops about assessment or working at workshops where we create assessments--for about 6 or 7 years now. And at the end of each workshop, I’m exhausted, worn out, and completely fulfilled. I’ve also experienced a change of scenery and a little get-away, which every mother needs. I find myself in a conversation with my friends and co-teachers Hugh, Janis and Kevin, and hear myself say, “Gosh, that was fun.” And then I step back and go, wha…? This is like major geek fun. Oh well. I’m pretty good at it, I like it, it’s fulfilling, and I get paid. Plus, the two workshops we’ll teach this summer will be in Heber and we’ll stay for 4 days (each workshop) at the Homestead. Not bad accommodations for someone teaching about tests.

19 comments:

~j. said...

It sounds to me that you teach teachers how to teach. VERY impressive. Two eyebrow raises and a high-five.

Lyle said...

Welcome Back. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has converstation stoppers about jobs. When I tell people that I am a technical communicator, I get all sorts of strange looks and trying to explain what I do does not seem to help much.

At least I know where Richfield is. Although, I had no idea that Richfield had a school big enough to catch the attention of the mighty Lorien et al. To attend to the needs of the great and small is truly noble.

dalene said...

Well you know Lorien, I think your nonpaid work at home as well as your paid work "out of town" is totally cool. And I spent a tiny portion of my formative years in Richfield, so although I only have one memory--which may or may not even be real--of it, I have heard of Richfield.

As for assessment, I'm all for people as smart and as cool as you writing test questions, because there is nothing I like to edit the heck out of more than vague or unanswerable questions (I still have issues over the "survey" about Provo's master plan), well, except maybe poorly written letters to the editor.

At least your line of work looks good on the resume, even if some people don't quite get it. It comes off better than "I Google all day."

Bek said...

I have also heard of Richfield. I had roommates from Meadow, Utah. That place makes Richfield look like NYC.

I am from Heber. I spent my formative years working at the Homestead--all of us kids have. When I worked there it was kind of a crappy place, now they have built new rooms, put in new pools, a golf course...etc. Should be fun.

My mom teaches 4th grade in Midway. She might be at your workshop (she is always going to teaching seminars of one sort or another). Maybe you don't give the seminars to 4th grade teaches. Oh well, you will see her at the Homestead then. She works in the gift shop and as a hostess!! I can honestly say that the Homestead put our entire family through school!

When you are in Midway, go to Yodels (unless it has changed, it used to be called Das Burgermeister Hause) or the new-ish resturaunt in the Heber Creeper Village. Sadly, Granny's is closed but I heard that someone wanted to re open it. Nahhhh, just eat at the Homestead......

Sniff, I wish I could go home....

Lyle said...

What! Granny's is closed! Nobody asked for my permission. Granny's was my Heber solace. :-((

Lorien- At least you get to stay in the improved Homestead. Back in the day it wasn't much to brag about.

Bek said...

Yes, Grannies is closed, but I confirmed today that it is about to reopen w/ a new owner. Sheesh. The locals know that Grannys isn't that great anyway. We go to Dairy Keen. Much cleaner, better food and more seating. Trust me. The second best place in town is the bowling alley. Again, trust me.

The Homestead might not have been much to brag about, but I heard that they had SMOKIN" lifeguards..... ;-)

Lorien said...

The workshop was in Richfield, but it was for Sevier School District. We had about 25 science teachers grades 6-12. Last summer in Richfield we did a 4-day one, and 3 of our people who came were 3/4 of the staff at their elementary school. The principal drove the bus and taught 1st-2nd grade, and the other 3 split up the other grades and janitor duty. Boy do I have respect for rural teachers!

I've done workshops in Heber for the last 2 summers and the Homestead is a very nice place to stay. It's all fancy-schmancy now. Good restaurant, too. I guess I'm glad I never saw it back in the day. And they have a crater. How many places have their own crater?

Mmmmm. Snake Creek Grille in Heber Creeper Village! That's one of my favorites, even though I've only been there a couple times.

Sister Pottymouth said...

I know exactly where Richfield is! We spent many a "vacation" down there working in my Grandma's garden. Every time we'd get a break from school, Dad would tell us to get a paper bag and put some clothes in. We'd all pile into the back of the pickup truck (complete with camper shell) and drive down to "do some work in Mother's garden," as he'd put it. I loved coming back with red tennis shoes from the dirt. And I loved stopping at the ice cream place in Nephi on the way home. Ahhhh, sweet memories. Oh--and I'm glad you had a good time at your workshop. Welcome back to reality!

The Dally Llama said...

My favorite place in the Heber valley for ambience/ambiance/Idon'tknowhowtospellitance. was Timp Freeze in Midway. Food was greasy as hell, but you can't beat eating somewhere where you can get a burger, fries, a drink and a milk shake, then finish it off with a game of pinball. And if you listened carefully, you could catch up on all the local high school gossip from the surly kids that were usually working there in the evenings. And you could do it all for about four bucks. Sadly, I think they're closed too. But I'll never forget the Tiger Burger. I ate there every year on the way to the demolition derby and the Heber Valley rodeo. Good times.

Carina said...

Why, Richfield is close to Marysville! (I'm surprised your friend didn't bring it up.)

THANK YOU for mentioning the Snake Creek Grille! We ate a divine meal there four years ago. I recently tried to recall the name of the place and was unable to dredge it up from my subconscious. THANK YOU.

Consider this another endorsement of the Dairy Keen.

Lorien said...

Last year at the Snake Creek Grille I had some sea bass that was orgasmic. I went back a month later and ordered the sea bass again. It was good, but a different recipe and not the same. Sigh. But I will return and order again. Hope springs eternal for those kind of meals.

best crab cakes I've ever had, too.

dalene said...

Orgasmic sea bass. Hmmmm. I'm going to be thinking about that one for awhile. Maybe I'll write a blog about orgasmic food entrees...

The Dally Llama said...

OK, I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but here goes. Lo, it's just a fish. Get over it. It can't be THAT good. It does put a new spin on the way them good ol' boys talk about the fish they caught last summer though, doesn't it?

"Yip, peeyitched a gruhub up unna tha' thur lowg an' kitched me a big o' bass."

Big O' bass, huh? Gross.

Emily said...

I have a pending appointment with the Snake Creek Grille in March. I'll have what she's having.

Lorien said...

Sorry emily, but I just couldn't let this one pass...

I hope it's as good for you as it was for me.

Lorien said...

Oh, and dally--just a fish? You have no idea.

dalene said...

Lorien, don't you love the little parallel universe we have going on in our respective blog comments? The ladies all want to have what she's having and the men have no clue what they're missing. I think we've stumbled onto some sort of universal truth or something.

Otto said...

Well, Johnny-come-lately, as usual. Thanks for the nod (eye-brow raise) though. I remember going to workshops when I was a teacher. I would go into it thinking that it was going to be lame, but it generally turned out to be pretty cool and interesting, so keep up the good work. Unfortunately, all the new info did for me in Wyoming was give me another reason to pound my head against the wall in frustration. Ah, good times, good times.

Anonymous said...

BTW...Granny's is back open...weekends only I think til Memorial Day...new owners, new kitchen, very clean...