Monday, November 05, 2007

Potionism

A conversation with my almost-5-year-old son this morning:

"Mom, I wonder how Jesus made the world."

"Me too."

"Do you know how he made the world?"

"No, I don't."

"Well, Mom. Maybe when we die we should ask him."

"Yep. I think that's a great idea. That's the first thing I want to ask when I die."

"Well, I think he used a ginormous potion."

For those of you that know me well, you will see my delight in this conversation. Just last night I had a discussion with a friend about science and evolution. You don't even want to get me started. But I really do plan on signing up for Creation 101 first thing when I hit the other side. Are there prerequisites, I wonder? Anyway, I'm thrilled that my almost-5-year-old son wonders how this world came to be. And I'm equally thrilled that his sense of fantasy and imagination makes a potion creation completely plausible.

Then a few moments later:

"Mom. Will you get me a potionmaker with a dog on the box for my birthday?"

"Why do you want a potion with a dog on it?"

"Well, Mom. Just go to a store that you can see a potion and get it for me for my birthday, okay Mom?"

Do you get the feeling he's got an ulterior motive?

11 comments:

Lyle said...

Kids and Ulterior Motives...the two never go hand in hand.

Carina said...

"She'll NEVER suspect!"

pflower10 said...

I SOOOOOOO wish that little boy had a thought bubble. I wish when we die we get to see everyone's thought bubble!

Sister Pottymouth said...

He could make his own potion. And Guy could paint a picture of a dog on it.

Just tell him to talk to A-- about potion making in the back yard. All it takes is pee and a squirt bottle.

Lorien said...

ewwww! No potions like that at our house, Julie. Besides, my boy wouldn't need a spray bottle to quirt stuff with. He'd just pee strait on it.

The Dally Llama said...

Just know that your stock may be about to drop. I remember when I was about 5, I asked mom to make me a Spiderman costume, complete with things in the wrists that would allow me to shoot webs on people (I wanted to trap the neighbor kids in webs and then laugh at them). She insisted that she couldn't. At first I didn't believe her, which only made me mad. Then I realized that she really couldn't do it. That's when my image of an all-powerful Mom started to crumble. I think I feared her just a little less after that.

So if you want to keep what little fear of you he has, you'd better find a way to deliver on a potion kit that makes real potions.

Anonymous said...

I want a potion making kit for my birthday!

Kristen said...

hey lo! i rediscovered your blog and it's so fun seeing what you've been up to! yesterday i saw a few books that guy illustrated (at a waterford class the twins are doing)and i thought of how much i miss you guys! i love this post! soooo funny!

Lorien said...

good to read you, kristen! swing by any time. I post on an average of once a month. stellar blogging, here.

dally, I'm operating on the "get him an awesome remote control jeep and orange cones to drive through for his b-day, and maybe he'll forget the dog potion" principle. so far, so good...

Trisha said...

Dally, I'm wondering which neighbor kids you were trying to trap...hmmm

Melody said...

I don't know what you're talking about . .. I'm certain Jesus used a potion. I thought everyone knew this.