Monday, September 10, 2007

Moth and Rust

and Clorox Clean Up doth corrupt.

We've had these classy yet casual, contemporary yet timeless, brown leather sofas for close to 10 years now. I hadn't realized they were that old until just tonight when I started thinking about it. They have survived jumping and climbing kids, gum, drool, spit-up, vomit and urine. And with an occasional cleaning and conditioning, have survived it all pretty well. Until Saturday night.

Word to the wise: make sure your kids put the Clorox Clean Up away, not on the sofa, when they are done cleaning toilets. The stuff eats holes in leather. I mopped up the bleach, cleaned and contitioned it the spot, and now I'm left with a blotchy thing about the size of a quarter in the middle of one cushion. It looks like the cow had some sort of flesh-eating bacteria before it graciously became my sofa.

It's true, it wasn't as bad as Kacy's experience (right now, this is just a teaser...I'm still looking for the link), but sad still the same.

And yeay me: I only said "What the h-e-double-hockeysticks?" once and I didn't even go off on the kids when I found it laying there. I must be getting more mature.

In other news, I'm gonna need that maturity. Just got a new church assignment. Primary: look out!

10 comments:

Carina said...

Dear Lo, I feel your pain. My new three years ago furniture has been through the wringer. The weld on my club chairs has failed and they are listing...

Thanks for the tip on the Clorox, one more thing I won't be buying anytime soon.

Lorien said...

Thank you for the sympathy. I love harsh cleaning products because I know that they leave stuff really CLEAN. My germaphobic self loves to smell that sterile, burning smell. But I have had many things go the way of the couch because of bleach. New sweaters, my favorite black pants, new blue t-shirt, jogging pants, etc. etc.

I'm going to try turning my favorite black pants into capris, and my kids say the hole in the couch looks like the bust of a guy. A point of interest or conversation starter, I guess.

Maybe you could find someone who welds to try fixing your chairs.

Sammie said...

sorry sorry mom, i didn't mean to, how was i supposed to know that clorox eats leather, besides, i only set it on the couch. it wasn't me who knocked it over. sorry

Lyle said...

I've been failry lucky in that respect. The worst our couch has faced is when my three year old decided to pee while sitting on the couch... and he just sat there and kept playing...letting it soak in all the way to through the foam.

Knock on wood

sue-donym said...

Didn't we just discuss this same sofa over dinner the other night?

That is what throws are for, I guess.

Ms. Julie said...

I'm so excited to have you in Primary! It's going to be a rockin' good time!

Anonymous said...

I usually use a Sharpie to cover up my bleach disasters. If you find a similar tone it's barely distinguishable. Although it doesn't do so much for actual holes (like the pen-holes in the arm of my navy leather recliner).

Good luck!

Sister Pottymouth said...

Ouch. I feel your pain...

Maybe some potato salad will help. I just posted the recipe for you.

The Wood Fam said...

I love reading your blogs! You've inspired me to start my own. I sure do miss you guys. I can't wait to see the kiddies costumes this year!

Anonymous said...

i LOVE primary! (dare i say that out loud??? about when you profess loving your calling you get released! so forget the first three words of this comment. :)