Friday, August 03, 2007

Dude. You Don't Even Know.


My grandparents rounded up their kids and grandkids (that means NOT my kids) and took us--21 in all--on an Alaskan cruise. It was sublime. Here are a few photos and highlights from the trip.

On the ship in Vancouver, Canada just before leaving port


At the mandatory safety-and-where-to-go-if-the-ship-is-sinking meeting


My cute parents on the observation deck as we were leaving Vancouver


My 2 brothers and me


We played on the boat for a day while we cruised the inside passage up to our first stop.




Sting Pong.

Dallas: 13, Lewis: 2



First stop: Ketchikan
Population: approx 8,000
Temperate Rainforest (alder, spruce, hemlock)
annual rainfall: 13 feet--yes, FEET!
airports: 1
access: airplane, boat, birthcanal

Who knew there were rainforests in Alaska? I'm embarrassed to say I didn't. Ketchikan is beautiful. The little town has about 40 miles of road, and then nothing but wilderness from there on. We went out of town about 15 miles and went sea kyaking.

This is the group who went kyaking: Guy and I, Monica (my sister) and her hubby Jeff, and my darling cousins Brett and Andi. Bald eagles were everywhere and the kyaking was lovely.




The old red-light district in Ketchikan (now little tourist shops)



The weather was cool and beautiful and due to the humidity, my skin has never felt better. There was, however, one really big, pus-filled zit on the face of the trip. Grandma's Meniere's disease acted up and she got really sick and so she and Grandpa had to get off the ship at Ketchikan. How sad is that? And to add to the disappointment, my aunt Jeannine and Dan had to go with them to help them get home. Jeannine was the one who had done all the leg-work putting the cruise together--all the way from coordinating the dates we could all go to arranging flights and cruise stuff. So that really sucked. We had fun anyway, which is what Grandma and Grandpa wanted, but it was such a bummer that they weren't there to enjoy it with us.

I've got more to report on, but it will have to wait for another post. Until then, enjoy this sunset.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love LOVE your pics. And that you got to go. Sans kids.

And I did enjoy that sunset. And the rainforest. And how big your beautiful smile was--so I could tell you were having a great time!

Thanks for sharing and Welcome Home! I missed you!!!

Anonymous said...

p.s. Did you see my comment on your last post?

willus said...

Now both you AND Dallas have blogged about the sting pong... I don't know why you think that photoshopping a series of welts on my belly is all that funny... the game wasn't nearly that lopsided... was it?

Lorien said...

one word willus...

OWNED

pflower10 said...

K, the pus filled zit on the face of the trip put me off any kind of eating today.......

THANKS FOR THAT!!!

Ms. Julie said...

What a great trip! The pics are wonderful, and you look beautiful.

p.s. I tried to email you something funny that Maddie said, but your email doesn't like my email.

Lisa said...

Fer fun! Lucky for you to go away without kids. . . How romantic! It's fun to see Dallas again. He's a cool cat.

Lorien said...

daredevil-ya. My email has been acting up the last couple of days. Don't take it personally. I think we almost have it fixed...I'd still love to hear what my little brown-eyed girl had to say.

dallas is a pretty cool cat. It's nice having him around for the summer.

The Dally Llama said...

Thanks for the ego stroking.

And, for the record, I just looked at the enlarged photo of sting pong, and there is clear evidence that the score was a lot closer to 17 to 2. You'll notice that I shot a pretty impressive grouping below and to the right of Willus's left nickel. There were 6 hits there alone.

PWN3D.

Lorien said...

Dally, upon closer inspection of the evidence, I concur with your conclusion. And did you include the 2 hits above and to the left of Willus' left nickel? Maybe not technically a grouping, but close still the same. Impressive stinging, I must say.

b. said...

The two of you in the brown.....sooo cute!

LuckyRedHen said...

Your parents should look OLDER (wow, so young!). Thanks for your travel blog :o)