Wednesday, August 16, 2006

My Awesome 8-Year-Old

She catches bugs, wears and loves her brother's hand-me-down shorts, dons 4 different bracelets most of the time, sings BNL's "Canada's Really Big" without missing a word, makes castles (complete with drawbridge) using only paper, scissors and tape, and writes about most anything you can think of.

Today she decided to make cookies. She asked permission, I said yes and told her which recipe to use and then she went to work without another question. She worked diligently for about an hour and in the meantime I ran to Macey's to grab a chicken dinner for a sick family (because I forgot to fix the casserole). When I got back, the cookies had just gone into the oven. I looked into the mixing bowl to get a little snitch of the dough and immediately recognized there might be a problem. I ate some of the dough-batter anyway and somehow found myself smeared with Crisco. Approximately 8 minutes and several hand washings later, I helped her pull the pans out of the oven.

Discouragement. Frustration. And the realization that the recipe said "2 1/4 c. flour" not "1/4 c. flour."





Her little brother loved them.

I'm still working on the Crisco Abatement Plan.

18 comments:

dalene said...

Oops! You can never go wrong with chocolate, however.

I think her little brother, and his little telltale fingers had the right idea!

wendysue said...

I agree with CW, just scrape off the chocolate and eat it and start over!

love the pics.

Sister Pottymouth said...

She definitely has your scowl.

JandB said...

i love that she's only eight and already does cool stuff. i'm trying to remember what i did when i was eight...hmmmm...i think i just watched tv.

C. Jane Kendrick said...

So funny and so sad at the same time.

(Awesome job with the braids! Right on Mom!)

Sammie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lorien said...

thank you, cjane. We just took them out today. and we have all been choking down laughs--hopefully she'll find it funny soon.

yes, julie, she has a divine scowl. In fact, I think she has perfected the scowl and taken it to a new level. I had to use much coersion to get her to let me take the pics. She was ticked off about the whole situation (after the tears).

Carina said...

That scowl is AWESOME.

And I have had many, many a mishap in the kitchen. Tell her that you can't get to be a really good cook until you've had a few very bad kitchen disasters. Amen.

willus said...

I don't see anything wrong with the cookies. Flour is the boreing ingrediant anyway. Tastes terrible. Never a fan of flour myself.

The Dally Llama said...

That is OUTSTANDING!! I was in the library at school when I read this, so naturally I tried to laugh quietly. I shot snot all over the desk, and part of my laptop in the process. I think I have a new desktop picture!!

Lorien said...

zucar and lews, I'll pass on your consoling words. I think we'll try again with a new batch and a bit more supervision tomorrow.

Happy to have provided a good snotter, dally. Enjoy the desktop--and your smeary screen. It's a beauty of a pic, if I do say so myself!

~j. said...

'Atta girl!

You're such a great mom.

Lorien said...

greater since school started today!

LuckyRedHen said...

You can tell her that your 35yr old friend can't even make cookies as good as THAT batch - I SUCK.

When're we going to THE exchange? I have my part ready.

Anonymous said...

Lorien...just tell her to take them across the street to Sister Dalebout. She'll pretend to like them.

Melody said...

Cookies, schmookies. Isnt' it all just carbs, fat and protein anyway. I would have eaten them and I wouldn't have had to pretend I liked them.

Darling photos. Darling girl.

And, hey! That is the coolest blog heading. Guy is such a great guy.

Let's hide in the bushes sometime and whistle at middle aged women. Or if you want we could just whistle at each other from time to time and pretend that we didn't know who did it.

Bek said...

That is the best thing I have EVER SEEN. Poor kid...and I LOVE the scowl.

The braids are great. Did you leave them in all summer? Will you do Nori's when I come and visit? :-) I did Lauren's for about a week and she LOVES it when we take them out because then she has "curly" hair. I try and tell her that she already has curly hair....oh well.

Great story.

LDahl said...

Bless her heart! Maybe she made a great memory instead of great cookies. You'll both laugh over this years from now.