Friday, July 29, 2005

Tree House Fun

Two days ago my friend told me she had to ground her son for an afternoon. He had been on the roof with his dad when his dad got down for a minute. When the dad got back on the roof, he found his son peeing down the sewer vent. I had a pretty good laugh as she told me the story. I have long since learned not to be smug about these kinds of things and I was NOT thinking things like, “If you just did a better job teaching your child…” or “Why can’t you control your child?” But I was thinking something like “Tee-hee! At least something like that hasn’t happened to me!” Well Julie, one day later and I can top that.

Yesterday my 4 1/2 yr old daughter came into the house with her head hung low and said to me, “I’m sorry, Mom.”

“Sorry for what?”

“I pooped.”

“What?!”

“I pooped.”

“Aaaar! Where did you poop?”

“Grass.”

At this point I think I yelled something like “I’m going to kill you!” Guy, in an attempt to calm me down and comfort his penitent daughter, intervened by saying things like “Was it an accident?” and “Did you try to come inside and you didn’t make it?” She of course answered “yes” and “uh-huh.” I finally got control of myself and then began asking more questions.

“Where is the poop?”

“Outside.”

Right. I gathered that from the grass answer. I was going to have to be more specific because my daughter was not volunteering anything more than she was asked.

“Okay. Show me”

She took me into the back yard under our big sycamore tree. Sure enough, there sat a little pie on the grass. It was time to learn more details.

“Did you get any on your underwear?”

“No.”

“Did you pull down your pants and sit right here and do it?”

“No.”

“Then how did this get here? Where were you when you pooped?”

“Tree house.”

I looked up. There, sitting on the branched trunk of my tree, were more little pies.

“You were up in the tree house when you did it?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Grrrrrr.”

After more of this questioning I finally pieced together that she and her friend Cammie (3 1/2 yrs) were playing house and apparently two of the slats of the tree house floor looked like a toilet. My daughter was playing at using the toilet, and then I guess the urge got to her before she could get down the tree and inside. When nature calls…

After reminding her that we don't pretend to use toilets in tree houses, I sent her inside to get in the tub while I set to cleaning it up. My husband had some remarkable ideas like “Just throw it in the bushes—the cat goes in there” and “just squirt it until it dissolves away.” I reminded him we were talking about human fecal matter and I think I said something like “Just go away if you can’t contribute any useful suggestions.” He went inside and started fixing lunch.

I proceeded with the revolting task of scraping what I could up with paper towels and then hosed the tree house, the trunk and the grass down. I thought of bleaching the whole area, but I wasn’t sure how the tree and lawn would have done with that. As I was finishing up a half an hour later, Guy opened a window and told me to come in. He told me I was going to have to call Cammie’s mom because he wasn’t going to do it. I asked him why I needed to call her. He said that our youngest (2 1/2 yrs) had come to lunch and said “I going to poop on Cammie.”

“What?”

“I going to poop on Cammie.”

Long pause…why would he say this…“Wait a minute. Did Cammie have poop on her?”

Apparently she did, but she had cleaned herself up with a wet-wipe. Great. Now I had to call my neighbor and tell her that my daughter pooped on her daughter and to put her into the tub quick. Nice. And this isn’t just any neighbor. No, this is the neighbor who keeps tabs on everything and everyone on the street and makes sure everyone else has the scoop, too. We call her Neighborhood Watch. (Really, I could write a whole blog just on her. Maybe I will.) Anyway, now Neighborhood Watch knows what my daughter did to her daughter. And you've probably already heard this story by now.

After I got off the phone I started wondering something else, so once again I asked my daughter.

“How did the poop get on Cammie?”

“Fell.”

I guess Cammie wasn’t in the tree house at the time.

14 comments:

wendysue said...

Tee Hee! At least something like that hasn't happened to me! (Yet.)

Bek said...

Oh My! That is the best thing I have heard in AGES. I don't know you, but I could see this happening to any number of my friends. Your kid has good acting potential--isn't that what they call Method Acting?

Thanks for making me laugh. I have a house full of sick kids.

dalene said...

Too much fun--so sorry Kyle wasn't over to play on that day.

If you need some reassurance that even without the bleach it's all going to be o.k.--read the "All Things Bright and Beautiful" series by James Herriot. There's this great chapter that discusses how the (looking for a word--synonomous with Kuhni's--for the guy who picks up and disposes of dead animal carcasses) anyway, that guy's kids had a playground of dead animal remains and they had the toughest immune systems of any children in town. (There are also some lovely and descriptive accounts about the inconviences inherent in being up to your armpits in female cow reproductive anatomy in the attempt to deliver a reluctant calf).

Not to mention, doesn't bacteria have a shelf life or a half life or something?

I'm sure everyone will live and it's a great thing, because someone definitely needs to pass on this story to generations to come.

topher clark said...

Lorien. Just say the word and I will poop on that Neighborhood Watch lady. JUST SAY THE WORD.

Lorien said...

Awwwww. Chris, I'm touched. Thank you so much for your loyalty and friendship. It means a lot.

Lisa said...

don't encourage him.

As a toddler, Owen once grabbed a big handful when I was changing him and put it in his mouth. I called the doctor and he laughed at me and told me we all, unknowingly, eat lots and lots of poop no matter how many times we wash our hands or how clean our house is. Why that was comforting at the time, I now don't remember.

Lorien said...

Ha Ha! And you blamed Owen's episode the other night on eating too much CANDY.

Otto said...

One of my childhood friends had a four story tree house. Can you imagine the velocity upon impact? Thirty-two feet per second per second acceleration, sixty-five feet up, calculate approximate mass, adjust for wind resistance...I'll get back to you.

~j. said...

At least it was family poop. Last fall, Boy I was babysitting, IN A MATTER OF MINUTES, took off his diaper and pooped all over my kids' room o' toys: when i saw him, he was smearing it into the carpet. i was burning and shaking with rage and tears. my friend jen rescued me by coming home from work the minute I called her, and she brought over her carpet steamer. Together, we made laps around the room with Clorox and Lysol, and I threw out a dozen books and eight toys. My kids were livid about this. Then jen sent me to the mall to get a mocha ice storm, while she watched my kids and Boy. Next evening at homemaking (or whatever they call it), his mom said to me, "I hear Boy did some finger painting! AH! That Boy! Such a funny one...you know how kids are..." grrrrrr...

Lorien said...

Wow. Four stories. And they think it's bad when it hits the fan. Hitting the fan's got nothing on a treehouse of that proportion!

Jenny, all I can say is that you are a better woman than I. I'd have called Chris right then to poop on Boy's mom!

Lisa said...

if I had a nickle. . .

Lorien said...

My pottymouth friend has a great blog. Check it out. Her most recent post is so very pertinent here.

http://biffytalk.blogspot.com/

I'll be linking her's and another friend's to my page when I remember how...

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Your poopy post comes highly recommended and it didn't disappoint. Thanks for the laugh.

Physcokity said...

Thank you for this! It proves that poopy mishaps aren't limited to boys...