Tuesday, June 21, 2005

What Did You Stick In Your Nose?

My fourth child is one of those kind of kids I thought came from parents who don’t monitor their children. I think I was a bit smug when I had only one child. My oldest is pretty tame and easy going. My second is pretty even keeled, too. Numbers 3 and 4 are teaching me humility and tolerance for people who have kids who yell in church and run around the neighborhood naked. So far, I’ve been able to contain naked mostly to the backyard, but as far as I can tell, my family’s got the loudest bench in my aging church congregation.

I’ve known for quite a while that I’ve got my hands full with Number 4, sweet though he is. When he was about 16 months old I put him down to change his diaper. He opened his mouth and I saw a quarter rolling around back there. Rather than jam it down his throat by trying to grab it, I quickly turned him over to try and shake it out or something, and then I heard a big “gulp.” No more quarter. Had this been my first child, we would have gone straight to the doctor’s office. Instead I just called. A nurse told me to watch for it and it should come through in a while, but that it could take a few weeks. Now, what would you do? Well, if you were my husband’s family, you would get out the old metal detector, pin the child to the floor and push the metal detector around on his stomach to see if he really swallowed the quarter. Apparently a mother’s eyewitness account isn’t enough. If you were me, you’d just fish around in each diaper with a stick. Unfortunately, I forgot to mention this to the babysitter a week later, and the quarter may have gone out in the trash undetected. I didn’t retrieve the diaper to double check. At any rate, we never recovered the quarter.

Since then, he has managed to swallow turpentine (we got a visit from the ambulance and fire truck), suck on the Lime-Away bottle, and stuff a pearl, a wad of paper and a button up his nose (not all at the same time). The pearl was during church. My husband popped it out with the insides of a pen (I still wonder if using this technique was wise). I got the wad of paper (snot wad?) out—which I think had been in there over night—by holding his mouth and other nostril shut after he breathed in. He could only hold his breath so long, and the air had to come out somewhere. I know it sounds cruel, but he can’t blow his nose so well and it worked. I repeated this procedure with the button about a month ago and almost had time to grab the camera while it was still stuck halfway in his nostril.

He is 2 1/2 now and lately he spends a lot of time throwing, shooting and hitting stuff. The back door on our Tahoe now has a bunch of little dents where he whacked it with a metal hand-me-down popgun. I’m giving the popgun back to my brother-in-law. All the bedroom doors in the house have chipped paint where he has attempted to pound the doors in when the older sibs shut him out. I took away the toy hammer. Just 15 minutes ago he chucked a rock at my beautiful new laptop and marred two of my shiny new keys and scratched the screen. I threw away his rock. I guess I need to get some squishy toys for him to throw around and release some of his energy or something. But is throwing squishy stuff as rewarding as throwing hard things or breaking stuff? Probably not. I guess you just have to accept the fact that if you have four kids, some of your stuff is going to get beat up, and after all, it is only stuff.

14 comments:

Otto said...

Hi, Lorien. It's nice to "see" you again. It was fun to read your blog. When my oldest was 2, he stood up on my lap in church and threw his sippy cup at the head of the nice old lady behind us. I caught the cup before impact, but I had to let go of the thrower, who then fell in the pew in front of us, and started screaming. So I feel for you. By the way, I think turpentine is an aquired taste.

Lorien said...

So great to "see" you, too. Loved reading your blog. And by your photo I see that the last 15 years have treated you well! Last week my youngest threw a paper airplane at the people in front of us. I know, you might be thinking, "Duh! Your own fault for making a paper airplane for your kid in church." But what else do you do with that program they give you? Airplanes and little jumpy frogs. That's what's in my repertoire.

Lisa said...

Great blog! I totally relate! Our #2 (sounds gross) is just like that. He was described in a newspaper article as "having bees in his head, and the bees are crazy." Imagine my surprise when #3 (a girl) shows up and doesn't throw things and destroy things and shove things in all sorts of interesting places. It was refreshing. And we are SO "that family" in church. . . Nice to "see you" online--we talked to Guy about getting together WITHOUT kids! Sounds fun, huh?

Your kids are DARLING (and so grown up!--Calvin?! I remember him as a baby!)

Otto said...

Not to be a butt-in-sky, but Teresa and I were just saying it would be fun to get together. I would suggest Arctic Circle, but that's so yesterday, oh wait that was today, how does Arctic Circle sound?

Lorien said...

Nice Otto! :) It sounds like we need to plan another whing ding. I'm on it! And no, I'm not talking a 15 year!!!!!!

Lorien said...

Nice Otto! :) It sounds like we need to plan another whing ding. I'm on it! And no, I'm not talking a 15 year!!!!!!

Lorien said...

how did I do that twice???? Ugh.

Kactiguy said...

You only did that to make it look like you have more comments.

Lorien said...

Big jerk.

Lorien said...

did

Lorien said...

not

Otto said...

I once posted several very flattering anonymous comments on my own blog just to make myself feel better. Sadly, it worked.

Lorien said...

Thanks.

Poopy. Ugh. I thankfully have gotten by without naked butt, poopy children in church. That would be worth seeing, though.

I also squeaked by with a little luck when I was home with an infant the Sunday my 6-year-old puked all over the people in our pew at the end of the meeting. But a few weeks later she managed to puke twice in the church at big brother's pack meeting. Good times.

Jared Roper said...

Hi Lo!

I'm glad I'm not the only one with children who have a propensity to plug holes in their head with sundry items.

BTW, can you teach me how to make little jumpy frogs out of the church program? I think I've forgotten how. Are you making something more complex than this?

Frogs